I had learned to realize how precious children of four and five were, and wanted to become as one of them.
- They have no thought of self deception.
- They trust people and do not doubt at all.
- They know only how to love and know not how to hate.
- They love justice and scrupulously keep the rules.
- They seek joy, live cheerfully and are full of life. They know no fear and live in security.
Most of these beautiful children would eventually become adults filled with suspicion, treachery, dishonesty, injustice, hatred, misery, gloom. Why? Why couldn’t they be brought up to maintain the beauty of their souls? There must be something wrong with education.
–from Nurtured by Love, by Shinichi Suzuki